Saturday, December 08, 2007

A Few Of My Favorite Things

* Infiniti G35 6MT coupe - Plenty of torque throughout the range; 295 horses. The last time I owned an automatic transmission as my personal car was 1984. Never again. This one's a pleasure on the open road. I was prepared to buy a BMW but this was the winner in my road tests.

* Breitling SuperOcean - Not fancy at all, and I like that. Just performs well under pressure, as should any fine diving watch. I admire all things that perform well under pressure.

* Premier Massage Chair - Great after sitting hunched over all day. It kneads, taps, rolls from head to back to legs.

* The Roasterie - Great source for Cup of Excellence coffees, the equivalent of the world's finest wines. Real treat for the coffee drinker.

* Lenovo (IBM) ThinkPad X-Series - When you spend as much time on the road as I do (60,000 miles on one airline alone, and I ride several), a light, reliable laptop is golden. Great screen, good-size keyboard, long battery life. Love this one.

* Trumper Men's Products - If you can't get to Mayfair, this might be the next best thing. Skin products, scents, soaps, shaving products: all things for the English gentleman. Wild Fern is my favorite.

* The Economist - My constant companion on those plane rides. It provides a much more global perspective than we typically get in the States, which I find both helpful and refreshing.

* SunBox - This has been in my office for years, pumping out the equivalent of a sunny day every day of the year. Great when your day starts at 4 AM!

* Naperville, IL - Money Magazine named it the second best place to live in the U.S. A picture postcard downtown, complete with Riverwalk; first-rate public schools; low crime; and high family incomes, with a cost of living that won't kill you. Quite a few forest preserves and parks, yet less than an hour from downtown Chicago.

6 comments:

Ziad said...

Well this is a different post than we're used to!!! :) That's one powerful car... my cousin owns one. but i still prefer the BMW 3 series CI!

Josh Ulrich said...

Love the car. I think they're a bit more practical - not to mention, less expensive - than the 3-series BMWs.

I'll be in the market for a new car in the next year or two. The G35 6MT Sedan would be my 'splurge' car. I'll probably end up with an Accord though, since I'm perhaps a bit too practical.

HPT said...

I raced one of those last week. Pretty fast cars.

Anatrader said...

Brett

At first glance, I thought it was my carnival red Jag XK8 that is in your post!

Alas, I have given it up for a 4-door Merc which is more manageable with failing eye-sight.

I too find great relief to keep a massage chair around my home cum office.

However, nothing like a good therapeutic deep tissue massage once a week, if possible, for aching back and legs.

And, in Asia, expatriates choose Singapore to be one of the best cities to work and bring up their children.

As today is Sunday here, good to take time off and reminisce.

Adam said...

Brett ~

Favorite stuff, eh?

The cars we no longer own. The dozen or so times per year a car's needed, we rent the cheapest thing we can find. [We live in NYC]

The watch I no longer wear. I've got a drawer-full of the usual suspects.

The televisions we no longer watch, eliminated from our home in '97. That's right, ten years.

The cell phone I no longer have. What a joy to cut that leash!

Haircuts by Stanley at Christopher Stanley Salon: interludes of intelligent, quiet grace.

Herm├Ęs ties. I've been collecting for 20 years.

Handmade suits. Need a good tailor in Milano? Ask me.

Handmade shoes. That's my secret.

Taillevent, twice a year.

Smoked salmon, whitefish & sturgeon from Zabar's, savored with appropriate accompaniments.

NY Yankees season tickets, and being married to a woman who's equally addicted to baseball.

Having returned home to the Bronx at 50, where I was born, after living in all sorts of chic places.

Adam.

Brett Steenbarger, Ph.D. said...

Hi,

Thanks for the posts! Josh, check out the TL; not a bad car. Adam, love the idea of losing the cell phone and getting the smoked fish at Zabars. When I lived in the city, I spent half my time in Zabar's and Balducci's. :-)

Brett