Thursday, October 18, 2007

Trading Gold and Other Topics on the Thursday Radar

* A Short-Term Model for Trading Gold - Brilliant post from MarketSci builds on a TraderFeed observation and turns it into quite a trading model. I'll comment further in a separate post. Fantastic work.

* Market Themes
- Accelerating dollar weakness, a flight to safety among Treasuries, and record oil prices.

* Terrible Idea for a Terrible Reason - Markman on the bank bailout. I'm currently reviewing his new book manuscript; looks very good.

* Top Five Yielding Stocks From a Prince - A view from StockPickr; perhaps what a number of sovereign funds are looking at, as they watch U.S. assets become cheaper thanks to the dollar.

* Charles Kirk Interview - Here's the link to the transcript of the Stocks & Commodities interview; check out his ideas on screening stocks.

* "The Crowd Has Yet To Panic" - Ritholtz on housing: no end in sight.

* Consumer May Not Be Down and Out - Gallup survey on holiday spending prospects.

* Disaster as an Investment Strategy - Thanks to a reader for the heads up on this New Yorker piece on Nassim Taleb.

4 comments:

Anatrader said...

Brett

The New Yorker article on Taleb the Lebanese reminds me of my 3 months sojourn in Amman, Jordan , as I flew over Lebanon, when a student on long summer vacation in the Middle East.

Taleb is an interesting read and thanks for all the links.

Ziad said...

Hey Anna,

How did u like Amman? I have friends from there. I'm actually Lebanese. I lived there most of my life and went to university there. Although I'm not the least bit nationalistic, I do think it's a beautiful country and that you should visit it sometime if u get the chance. (although definitely not now because the political tensions are very high).

Cheers,

Ziad

Ziad said...

Oops sorry, I don't know why I assumed anatrader = Anna. My bad.

Anatrader said...

Brett, if you don't mind my replying here to Ziad,

yes, you assumed right, Ziad. I am Anna aka Ana aka yintrader etc..

I love Amman for its dry climate coming from humid Tropics, its hospitable people, and the family I lived with who adopted me as their 13th daughter. They lived in a Djabal where consulates are. I have been trying to contact the family but to no avail.

Since you have friends there, can you email me at yintrader08@gmail.com to see if you can help me .

I used to know a Lebanese SIA pilot who also migrated to the States with the turmoil in Beirut. Also lost track, unfortunately.

This goes back more than 3 decades.