Sunday, March 25, 2007

Resources For Trading And Market Psychology

Over the course of the last several years, I suspect I've written close to 1000 articles and posts related to the psychology of traders and markets. At some point, I'll organize all this material into a single, indexed database. For now, however, there are several ways of tapping into the knowledge base:

1) Archived Articles - The articles page on my personal site groups articles by topic (Trading Psychology and Trading Techniques) and also lists the articles in chronological order. I recently updated the Articles page. There are now nearly 200 articles available; all can be downloaded free, without registration. I ask only that they, like the other articles, not be reproduced on other sites.

2) Trader Performance Page - Here is where I sketch out new research and trading ideas, particularly those related to performance improvement. Over 30 favorite and recent entries are linked.

3) TraderFeed Archives - Over 700 posts to TraderFeed are archived on the site. These include posts on the market, on trader psychology, and on trading performance. A great way to search through the archives is to perform an advanced search on Technorati. Just go to the Technorati home page, click on "advanced search" at top right, and then enter "ALL of the words" in your Keyword Search and enter the TraderFeed URL where it designates to "Search In". For instance, you can enter "NYSE TICK" where it prompts you to "Show Posts That Contain" and the TraderFeed URL on the last line of the "Search In" options and up will pop all TraderFeed posts that discuss the NYSE TICK.

4) Seeking Alpha Archives - I'm gradually accumulating market-related posts in the Seeking Alpha archives, with over 25 entries at present. These focus more on stocks, ETFs, and markets than on trader psychology.

If I've written about it, you'll find it in one of those four places. As far as I can tell, it's the largest archive of trading psychology-related articles in the world. My hope is that it can serve as a resource base for traders interested in learning more about themselves and their markets. Thanks for the interest--

Brett

14 comments:

John Friedrich said...

Brett,

Could you do a post on how and what data you collect and then how you maintain your database? This is something I admire about your approaching to trading and the markets.

Thanks,

John

AnaTrader said...

Hi Brett

Will be printing out this instructive post as Reference Index to all your painstaking research and feedback on trading and market pschology.

I have been printing out selectively whenever I want a hard copy to study carefully, as prolonged reading on the PC affects my orbs badly.

We owe you not one but many.

Hsieh hsieh ni.

Brett Steenbarger, Ph.D. said...

Hi John,

I'm afraid that would take far more than a post to properly convey. Maybe I'll do a video or course some time. Thanks for the idea--

Brett

Brett Steenbarger, Ph.D. said...

Many thanks, Anatrader; glad the articles provide some reference--

Brett

rockain'tdeadyet said...

Hard to properly thank you for sharing the work you've done. I trade full time, and your posts often encourage me to either a material development (research directions, new looks at indicators, etc.) or a methodological one.
I've often noticed, in retrospect, what appeared to be a lack of focus in my trading. It isn't so much the focus but the perspective -as a soccer player it's much like being too focused on scoring the important goal and not noticing your open teammate on the far side of the box.
In any case, after your hemoencephalography post, I began playing speed chess before the market open. It has set my mind working in the proper order -trading, like chess, is a complete game. The individual gains and losses are far less important than the overall position (capital growth). Though I've understood these parallels for quite awhile, it wasn't until your post that I realized the importance of actively engaging this outlook into the market open. I suppose it's like warmup, and seems dead simple now, but I don't think I'd have come to it otherwise. Thank you much.

Mike said...

Hi Brett,

Thanks for sharing your experience and ideas with the web community. Reading your blog has been a tremendous learning experience for me. I look forward to many more insightful posts!

regards,
Mike

Brett Steenbarger, Ph.D. said...

Hey Rock,

The speed chess idea as preparation for trading is sheer genius. Many similar skills needed, esp. for the short-term trader. Thanks for the comment!

Brett

Brett Steenbarger, Ph.D. said...

Thanks, Mike. My next major project will be to pull the posts and ideas into a coherent trading framework for traders. More on that to come...

Brett

Greg said...

Brett,

Great blog I've been reading it for awhile now. I just purchased 2 of your most recent books from amazon. I love to read and study about trading psychology. I've been trading stocks and futures for over 2 years semi-fulltime 3 days per week. I've had a mentor who trades for a living teaching me. Can't wait to read your books and plus I wanted to show some support for your hard work and time on this blog.


Thx
Greg

Yaser Anwar said...

If there were blogging oscars, this blog would be nominated in all categoriesssssssssssssssss! Two thumbs wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy up!

Brett Steenbarger, Ph.D. said...

Thanks, Greg; glad to hear you've found the mentorship. That can be invaluable. I'm a firm believer in the apprenticeship model--

Brett

Brett Steenbarger, Ph.D. said...

Thanks, Yaser. I greatly appreciate the support--

Brett

AnaTrader said...

Brett

To add to your Resources for Trading and Market Psychology, I think you could add: Intermarket Anaysis especially for Forex market, in due course?

If one can have analytical tools that can find and identify recurring patterns within individual forex markets and between related global markets, one would have a leg up on other traders.

We have to move beyond single-market analysis to have an edge.

Brett Steenbarger, Ph.D. said...

Hi AnaTrader,

I couldn't agree more: intermarket analysis is key, especially for the Forex trader. That would be a great area for research--

Brett